Reference Items
Firearms
M1855 Springfield Carbine

Click on an image to enlarge

Examples of this carbine were manufactured by Springfield Armory between 1855 and 1856 in a total quantity of 1020 arms. This is a single shot, .54 caliber muzzle loader with 22" round barrel and single barrel band. All mountings are iron with brass forend cap, all metal parts finished bright. The original button tipped ramrod is fixed to the underside of the barrel with a large oval U-shaped swivel. The walnut stock is 3/4 length, exposing a large portion of the ramrod. Lock markings are an eagle over US forward of the hammer with vertical marks "Spring/Field" and "1855" at the back of the lock. Barrel marks include "VP" with an eaglehead and the date "1855." U.S. is stamped on the tang of the buttplate. It also bears the correct large sling ring at the back of the trigger guard and the two-leaf rear sight on the barrel.

Of historical interest, this is the only arm in the M1855 series issued by the government and not equipped with the Maynard tape primer mechanism. These carbines were already obsolete at the time of their production, as a wide variety of faster and more accurate breechloading carbines were already gaining widespread support. Tradition holds that some the M1855's, after issue were purposely sabotaged by their owners to facilitate issue of one of the more advanced arms then available. The survival rate of these carbines was very limited, making this a scarce and rarely seen firearm.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-144

Colt Fluted Army - Inscribed Gordon A. Stewart

Click on an image to enlarge

This Colt 1860 Army revolver is a .44 cal percussion pistol with fluted cylinder, 7˝” barrel, Serial #2171. It bears an original period script inscription, "Lt. Gordon A. Stewart from Co. D. 4th Reg’t, O.V.M. May 9th, 1861”. The revolver is in very good original condition and is 100% complete and correct.

Colt's factory letter states that the pistol was shipped to Colt’s New York office where it was likely inscribed. Lt. Stewart enlisted with the 4th Ohio Infantry on April 14, 1861, four days after the bombardment of Ft. Sumter. He was promoted through the ranks from Lieutenant of Company D to his eventual rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He served until June 21, 1864.

Stewart saw action in the battles of Winchester, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor and others. He was wounded by a shell fragment during his regiment's assault on Marye’s Heights at Fredericksburg. Surviving this wound, he returned to service with the 4th and was later shot in the chest by a mini-ball at Robinson’s Tavern. Stewart survived the Civil War.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-142

Inscribed Colt Army revolver - Nate Fogg, 2nd Mass

Click on an image to enlarge

.44 cal Colt Army pistol with a silver escutcheon in the left grip, in fine original condition. Its original wood grips retain the inspector's cartouche and a silver escutcheon with the inscribed name "Nate Fogg".  

Nate Fogg enlisted from California, with Company L of the Cal Battalion, who eventually fought under the flag of the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.   The troopers in the 2nd Mass Cav were primarily issued .44 caliber Colts as their service pistol.  Corporal Fogg was wounded in a fight with Mosby's rangers at Mount Zion Church, near Aldie, Virginia on July 6, 1864. He recovered from his wounds and returned to the regiment, witnessing the conclusion of the Civil War at Appomattox Court House. At war's end, government muster records indicate that Corporal Fogg purchased his Colt revolver and saber from the army for $11.00, keeping them, no doubt, as mementos of his wartime service. In the ensuing years, Fogg never returned to California, but worked as a carpenter and with electricity in Indiana, Ohio and Massachusetts. He finally settled in Florida and ran a large fruit growing operation until his death in 1916.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-106

Additional Pages
1  2   3  [Next Page]