Reference Items
Firearms
M1816 Belgian Conversion

Click on an image to enlarge

Just prior to the outbreak of hostilities in the Civil War, arms technology had advanced beyond the flintlock ignition system employed by longarms for nearly two centuries. As the benefits of percussion ignition were recognized, the U.S. Government reclaimed numerous Model 1816 muskets from storage in arsenals and converted them from flintlock to percussion.

Several types of conversions exist which offer interesting diversity to the collector. This musket is a Model 1816, officially termed "The Belgian Alteration" or more commonly known as the "cone style" conversion. All lock parts were removed and the flashpan was ground down flush with the lockplate, to be filled with a brass plug. A percussion nipple was tapped into the breech of the barrel and a distinct arsenal style hammer was installed. This method of conversion was only performed by the national armories. Virtually all of these arms were issued to early volunteers as the patriotic fervor surpassed available inventory in the armories.

This musket is in excellent condition with lock and barrel dates of 1835. It bears a very sharp eagle over US on its lock, shows strong case colors on the lock and hammer, and two perfect cartouches, CW and ESA with secondary marks at base of trigger guard. Its bayonet and scabbard are intact. It is a nice example of the Springfield conversion.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-155

M1847 Sappers & Miners Musketoon

Click on an image to enlarge

Model 1847 U.S. Sappers Musketoon made at the armory at Springfield, Massachusetts from 1847 - 1856. This specimen’s 1847 lock date places it among the first group of 250 manufactured from 1847 to 1848 and so dated. Total production was only 830, of which 228 were eventually altered to artillery models. The combination of its original configuration and 1847 date make this a very rare firearm.

The Sappers is easily recognized by the presence of a lug for the saber bayonet on the front barrel band and the double steel guides fixed on the right side of the muzzle. Lock shows eagle motif over U.S. with vertically marked SPRING/FIELD/1847 behind hammer. No date is present on barrel tang but barrel is correct and unblemished. Barrel breech marked with VP and eagle head, walnut stock bears clear [WAT] cartouche and remains in superb condition. All metal is evenly matched, showing evidence of mild cleaning many years ago. Barrel is smoothbore .69 cal with no rear sight, fastened by two barrel bands. Sling swivel on rear barrel band and below buttstock. Accompanied by original brass first model (with complete fuller) bayonet with leather scabbard (not pictured) which rival the Sappers model in rarity.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-151

M1855 Springfield Carbine

Click on an image to enlarge

Examples of this carbine were manufactured by Springfield Armory between 1855 and 1856 in a total quantity of 1020 arms. This is a single shot, .54 caliber muzzle loader with 22" round barrel and single barrel band. All mountings are iron with brass forend cap, all metal parts finished bright. The original button tipped ramrod is fixed to the underside of the barrel with a large oval U-shaped swivel. The walnut stock is 3/4 length, exposing a large portion of the ramrod. Lock markings are an eagle over US forward of the hammer with vertical marks "Spring/Field" and "1855" at the back of the lock. Barrel marks include "VP" with an eaglehead and the date "1855." U.S. is stamped on the tang of the buttplate. It also bears the correct large sling ring at the back of the trigger guard and the two-leaf rear sight on the barrel.

Of historical interest, this is the only arm in the M1855 series issued by the government and not equipped with the Maynard tape primer mechanism. These carbines were already obsolete at the time of their production, as a wide variety of faster and more accurate breechloading carbines were already gaining widespread support. Tradition holds that some the M1855's, after issue were purposely sabotaged by their owners to facilitate issue of one of the more advanced arms then available. The survival rate of these carbines was very limited, making this a scarce and rarely seen firearm.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-144

Colt Fluted Army - Inscribed Gordon A. Stewart

Click on an image to enlarge

This Colt 1860 Army revolver is a .44 cal percussion pistol with fluted cylinder, 7˝” barrel, Serial #2171. It bears an original period script inscription, "Lt. Gordon A. Stewart from Co. D. 4th Reg’t, O.V.M. May 9th, 1861”. The revolver is in very good original condition and is 100% complete and correct.

Colt's factory letter states that the pistol was shipped to Colt’s New York office where it was likely inscribed. Lt. Stewart enlisted with the 4th Ohio Infantry on April 14, 1861, four days after the bombardment of Ft. Sumter. He was promoted through the ranks from Lieutenant of Company D to his eventual rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He served until June 21, 1864.

Stewart saw action in the battles of Winchester, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor and others. He was wounded by a shell fragment during his regiment's assault on Marye’s Heights at Fredericksburg. Surviving this wound, he returned to service with the 4th and was later shot in the chest by a mini-ball at Robinson’s Tavern. Stewart survived the Civil War.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-142

Inscribed Colt Army revolver - Nate Fogg, 2nd Mass

Click on an image to enlarge

.44 cal Colt Army pistol with a silver escutcheon in the left grip, in fine original condition. Its original wood grips retain the inspector's cartouche and a silver escutcheon with the inscribed name "Nate Fogg".  

Nate Fogg enlisted from California, with Company L of the Cal Battalion, who eventually fought under the flag of the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.   The troopers in the 2nd Mass Cav were primarily issued .44 caliber Colts as their service pistol.  Corporal Fogg was wounded in a fight with Mosby's rangers at Mount Zion Church, near Aldie, Virginia on July 6, 1864. He recovered from his wounds and returned to the regiment, witnessing the conclusion of the Civil War at Appomattox Court House. At war's end, government muster records indicate that Corporal Fogg purchased his Colt revolver and saber from the army for $11.00, keeping them, no doubt, as mementos of his wartime service. In the ensuing years, Fogg never returned to California, but worked as a carpenter and with electricity in Indiana, Ohio and Massachusetts. He finally settled in Florida and ran a large fruit growing operation until his death in 1916.

Member - Mike Sorenson
Item #: CIV-106

Additional Pages
[Previous Page]  1   2  3